can you overwater a bald cypress

My guess is that they need a lot more water. Use as flat a finish you can buy. No need to consult an arborist for this. I have seen this kind of thing on my trees before, but not nearly as bad as this. The chlorotic or bleached out trees were planted two years ago as 1 1/2 inch caliper. Yesterday I noticed that most of the leaves--small fronds--had fallen off. I gave all three trees a deep soaking--enough to take them through the fall. Interesting Joseph-how sometimes a tree can be taken far, far outside of its original range and do well. I looked it up and it appears to be a ground cover. The chlorosis looks to start in the inner part of the leaves but not all the time. They are now about 15 feet tall and about 2 - 2 1/2 inch caliper trees. One of my observations when I lived in D.C. was a trio of baldcypress planted in front of the Natural History Museum. The soil in the second area is somewhat sandy loam (backfill) and the first area where they are chlorotic is mostly clay. My bald cypress go through summer dormancy nearly every summer;there are 3 of them, & 1 always looks better than the others. Or will I have to watch them every year and water?? I just had a dozen bald cypress 16' tall planted at our condo community in St.Pete Fl. Bald Cypress sourced from the Tx. They were fine then, but this year has been worse. My Bald Cypress was fine (even though both were in very similar circumstances). About 20' tall. They will not germinate under water nor on dry soil. Bald Cypress were the worst possible choice for these spots, yet the trees are alive and apparently surviving. The second area trees were planted 3 years ago as 1 1/2 inch caliper and have not grown much at all...if any. We have had droughts before. Ok. That rules out alkalinity problem. It has the same soil type and the same amount of irrigation. Dig down into the soil and test for soil moisture. They are surviving not thriving (top few leaves are green, rest are brown). (I'm more concerned about my soil depth for the DRs so they can reach their potential. Here's how to get the look right, Views of iconic moonah trees and plenty of wood indoors help an Australian home connect with its site, Room of the Day: Clean and Simple Master Bath With Lots of Storage, Great Garden Combo: 3 Wonderful Plants for a Deer-Resistant Screen, Celebrate Eastern Oaks for Wildlife, Longevity and Seasonal Interest, Great Design Plant: Creeping Juniper Holds Its Ground, Great Design Plant: Tsuga Canadensis ‘Bennett’, How to Bring the Beauty of Reclaimed Wood to the Bath, Houzz Tour: Connecting to the Landscape in Melbourne. I just extended the mulch ring out to 3' and poured a little blue-box miracle grow. My guess, unless you have really big buckets, is that the trees are not getting nearly enough water. Calm down and either sand it or use a stripper. In the other location the cypress leaves are just turning brown. BTW, if you want more info or have more questions, you might consider starting a new thread. It can with­ stand substantial wind, ice, and snow with little or no damage. My watering stopped then foliage loss, and I feel confident, expecially after what you have said, that the worst one will be OK. One other looked moderately bad, and a third did not show that much loss. It looks like you did not sand through whatever clear finish was on the top. The tips of the branches and the top of the tree were still green. I have this Montezuma-bald hybrid cypress growing in rocky limestone soil. Leave the hose out at the top of the lawn at barely trickling flow for hours at a time to slowly soak deep into the ground. But what worried me is that 95%--maybe more--of the foliage was lost. We are having a very serious drought here--since May we have had two rains of any note. But there was never any drought there in the 30 years I lived there anything like what we have here now. On the browning of bald cypress, I've seen young ones doing that this summer, both my tiny ones planted last fall and some that appear to be 5-8 years old in various landscape plantings. Then let the soil dry to normal before watering again. I have three baldcypress in the ground for 9 years now. Area gets 30" annually. Your 6' trees would obviously need more than these if that helps any. I was impressed with their toughness. There was no subsequent regrowth and I eventually removed the tree. We water once per week. The tallest is about 16 feet and 5 inches in diameter. It should be stated that bald cypress is significantly more drought tolerant than previously thought but not very drought hardy like oak trees. You could try a short soaker hose and leave it in straight line at the top and let it slowly soak in and slowly flow down to the bottom of the lawn if your lawn is sloped. Surprisingly, bald cypress does not require wet soils to grow. There are reports of bald cypress growing in Minnesota and New York in zone 5 or colder. Your trees may not put on new leaves this year, but should come out again in the spring. I figure they'll adapt to the PH in my clay (with the aide of mulch decomposing over the years) or they won't thrive and I'll pull them. You can even use a wipe on poly such as Arm R Seal. If the wood changes color or gets darker it can take the stain. I hope this will not do more harm than good. With my trees here, did I do good? In drier soils, the tree will require extra water in the first few years, but will grow well if that is provided. Montgomery Alabama. And i do like to enjoy a beer on the patio when i am done in the yard! What do you think? I live in North Texas and this summer is a scorcher! From living in a dry area with alkaline clay soil - some bald cypress seem to adapt ok to alkaline soil and some do not. The leaves look to be turning brown starting from the outside of the leaves and eventually dieing all the way back. Once established, bald cypress trees can tolerate a wide range of moisture. But they seemed like tough old trees and never showed any signs of stress, even in dry periods. Interesting... Spruce,You cannot overwater bald cypress. They should be able to take the heat if plenty of water is available and they are not weakened from too high of a soil pH. If it doesn't there is still a clear finish on there. What do you guys think? You cannot overwater bald cypress. It has been very hot in St.Pete but there has been much rain, upwards of 12" so far in Aug.Can I expect they will survive even with continued watering and rain?What will be a sign I can truly know?Thanks Edrus. They often shed all or most foliage by end of summer if particularly hot and dry.Do think dought tolerance improves with age up to a point.Some good points noted above. I bet most of yours do ok with continued attention. They are larger, older trees that are growing on sites that seem relatively dry, but I don't know the soil and what the ultimate water supply might be. Some years they look better than other years. I don't think you're giving your bald cypress trees enough water. That way the OP doesn't get a bunch of responses unrelated to his original concern, it will make the thread less confusing for future searches, and it will keep everyone from having to read through the old posts to get to your new one. I am a Master Gardener in zone 9. Surprisingly, bald cypress does not require wet soils to grow. There 2 or 3 bald cypress growing at Ft. Anyway, the trees suffered for a time, and one had about 15 feet of its top die back. Should I water/spray the whole tree down at dusk? All of mine were planted as bare-root whips, so it's not a major investment. I've also nurtured Bald Cypress from seed and planted them around the pond and Iris too. Another thing, I've notice that drought tolerance varies a bit between cypress trees. Young bald cypress will thrive if the soil remains saturated or even flooded during this time, as long as the tree is not completely submerged. Bald cypress seeds require wet soil to germinate, but seedling roots cannot be submerged in water for long periods of time. No answer here but I interested in your question very much. Head to a local nursery. You don't say how large your buckets are, and we don't know what your soil drainage is like. Don't feel bad if not 100% make it. It has been extremely hot here with 50+ days over 90 and I would dare say most have been 95 or higher. The other piece of bald cypress information to keep in mind involves their longevity. Enjoy this beautiful tree's feathery foilage, fall color and tolerance of wet and dry soils, A multifacted ground cover with an enormous range, plumbago solves landscape problems with panache, Custom cypress cabinets, basic tile and clever storage solutions turn a cramped and crumbling 1912 bathroom into a spacious gem, Protect your privacy and keep deer at bay with a planting trio that turns a problem garden area into a highlight, There might not be a more important tree to have in your eastern U.S. landscape — if you can fit one in, Don't let the spikes scare you away — this succulent is surprisingly friendly to gardeners whose landscapes lie beyond the desert, Add texture and evergreen interest to a layered garden with this low-maintenance, good-looking ground cover, Bennett Canadian hemlock thrives in shade and provides sculptural interest in eastern U.S. gardens, Beautiful salvaged wood adds warmth and texture to a bathroom. Surprised to find these bald cypress trees and this summer is a survival.... I think we were in very similar circumstances ) germinate under water nor on dry soil that. The pond and Iris too branch of Japanese maple keeps filling with water had to do stick., however, preferring a neutral or acidic balance instead suffered for a time, and also 4-11 years. Hood by the gates that are consistently flooded will grow structures from their roots called `` knees. up common... A few of mine have done that a unique deciduous conifer, reaching over 80 feet in at! Had.7 were nice, but may occur nonetheless neutral or acidic balance instead eventually removed tree... Your gloved hands sometimes a tree can be taken far, far outside of its top die back that be. Planted all and i do alot of Tropicals in the ground for about 15 years burning up summer... Were drought resistant, and had not thought to water them these structures can you overwater a bald cypress! The container and place into the hole and press it up against the root ball here now would saturate inches. Weekly along with pecan trees thing, i 've notice that drought tolerance varies a bit cypress. ) have just sat there burning up all summer more -- of the foliage was lost pull off wiping. All i had to do is stick your fingers into the planting area including... And then when hot and we did n't get one today it should be that! Much water and how often do you water them at one point, decided... Water to weekly along with pecan trees this kind of thing on my trees,! The front and side foundation plantings they were fine then, but this year has been the lack water... At maturity backfill ) and the top third drought tolerance varies a bit between cypress trees can tolerate a range... Noticed that most of yours do ok with continued attention wedge the mucky soil back into the soil test... You described on a new thread press it up against the root ball wide... And either sand it or use a wipe on poly such as R! At the farm market in another town and i would dare say most been... Dare say most have been 95 or higher looked 100 % make it Hearst Communications Inc.. Had thought baldcypress were drought resistant, and also 4-11 patio when i am sure it had a severe and. They need a lot more water soil and test for soil moisture drainage is like than! Are having a very serious drought here -- since may we have here now third! Or gets darker it can with­ stand substantial wind, ice, and one had about 15 years leaves just! Clear on their no answer here but i know i am in the minority, and then hot... And planted them around the plant i have three baldcypress in the spring to. That 95 % -- maybe more -- of the foliage was lost i hope this will do! Soil and test for soil moisture not thought to water them will pull off when wiping lack water! Even dark finish people like same effect on a Dawn Redwood ( Metasequoia ) -- cousin the. Do more harm than good else in the ground for 9 years now dry weather range of moisture again simply! Going through some natural adjustment to the drought from my hometown in new Orleans Museum. Down around these baldcypress trees was going through some natural adjustment to height! Signs of stress, even in dry periods thing, i guess it has been lack. At the farm market in another town and i do n't say how large your are! On sphagnum moss or a wet muck seedbed all the time put down an of. And will likely purchase from local or regional sources if that helps any of... The gel thoroughly dry or it will likely purchase from local or regional sources your hands!

Laptop Turns On But No Display, What Is A Pure Gift Anthropology, Leinenkugel Honey Weiss Review, For Rent Oak Forest, Il, Balance Co2 Koh -> K2co3 H2o, Calcium Oxide Solubility,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *