vegetarian eggplant mapo tofu

Mapo Eggplant is a spin on the Szechuan classic Mapo Tofu. Mapo Eggplant, or what we call Mabo Nasu (麻婆茄子) in Japan, is a delicious stir-fried eggplant dish with ground pork and seasoned with a bold savory sauce. Thanks so much for your blog While some of the ingredients take a little effort to source, the recipes are not complex and are totally delicious. It’s also based off the Japanese-style mapo tofu, so it isn’t as spicy or mouth-numbing as its Chinese counterpart. Pouring into the I dont know what I spoiled but what I’m sure is following: too much meat, too much chicken stock, I cut eggplant into strips instead cubic etc. Want to learn more about Chinese Cooking? Depending on the brand, it can vary. Meanwhile microwave the dates in 40 seconds. Mapo Eggplant is similar to the classic Chinese-influenced mapo tofu dish, but using Asian eggplants instead. I added some thinly sliced red bell pepper as well. It consists of soft smooth tofu set in a spicy sauce. So good! The sauce was delicious and when all was combined it was great with brown rice. Mapo tofu is a popular Chinese dish from Sichuan family. And it’s also one of our favorite Chinese food dishes. IG @nia_kitch3n In a small bowl mixed the cornstarch and water. Don't subscribe It is…, Add the oil and sichuan peppercorns to a large skillet and cook over medium heat. Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and take a picture and tag it @omnivorescookbook on Instagram! Immediately use your spatula to scrape off any browned bits from the pan. Your Sichuan eggplant is my go-to dish for using eggplant but I thought I would try this one for a change. Everything taste not bad but look…. Stir with the doubanjiang and cook until the chicken is almost cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. You’ll find it at your local Asian supermarket or on Amazon. The cooked Sichuan peppercorns are delicious. Thanks so much for sharing it! Heat the 1/4 of water in a wok over low heat and add the green onions, ginger, garlic … based in . We can easily order it whenever we go to a Chinese restaurant. I put the eggplant in the oven but not as long as the tofu, so then I cooked it quite a while in wok, allowing it to dry out a bit. Then just leave them out. Mix together the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl and stir until fully dissolved. Mapo Tofu is one of my favorite Szechuan dishes. Did you make this recipe? I’d love to see what you come up with. Served with your oven roasted green beans which were a great sweet compliment and your insanely good lamb dumplings which I made and froze. Still using the skillet add the dates liquid, garlics, ginger, mushrooms powder,gochujang paste, cayenne pepper, and soy sauce. If you are looking for a premium product, check out the 3-Year Fermented Pixian Douanjiang from The Mala Market. To make this dish vegan, use 1/2 pound (225 g) white mushrooms and chop them into small pieces or simply skip the meat. For a better look, you need to flash fry the eggplant before braising, which I decided to skip because it doesn’t worth the trouble. You can use other types of eggplant as well. Chinese Pickled Peppers (Quick Pickled Pao Jiao), Easy Kimchi Fried Rice (Kimchi Bokkeumbap), The Mala Market Brass Hot Pot & Hot Pot Base Giveaway, Sui Mi Ya Cai (碎米芽菜, Preserved Mustard Greens), Saute the Sichuan peppercorns in oil to infuse the oil, Break apart the ground meat. You can coarsely grind them (using a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle), and use them as a salad or noodle topping or garnish this dish with them at the end of the cooking if you’d like more Sichuan peppercorn flavor. After all, now we are home. The creamy sauce is so delicious mixed with soft tofu. I will definitely make this. The doubanjian was amazing, the best I have ever tasted. Let cook a bit longer if needed. Smashed it and strained it. I didn’t have ground chicken so I used ground pork instead. Immediately use your spatula to scrape off any browned bits from the pan. I tried to make it today and DISASTER !! It’s always good along with steamed white rice. Your mapo looks wonderfull. Add the ground chicken and spread it across the pan. One of my favorite dishes is mapo tofu, but I absolutely love making that same mapo sauce to go with eggplant for mapo eggplant. See step-by-step photos in the post above.If using TVP, place it in a bowl and pour boiling hot water. Omnivore's Cookbook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. I am originally from Beijing, and now cook from my New York kitchen. Transfer everything to a serving plate. Stir constantly and cook until the sauce has thickened. Silky roasted eggplant is topped with a slightly spicy and garlicky bean sauce with ground pork, mushrooms and water chestnuts for an added crunch. Share a picture of your creation! #veganfriendly #vegetarian # oil free # sugar free Mapo Tofu is one of the China’s famous dishes. Once you try the dish, you’ll be surprised how easy it is to cook it and how addictive it tastes! You’ll have it done faster than delivery would take to arrive! Replies to my comments Enjoy hot as a main dish over steamed rice or boiled noodles. This was delicious with layers of flavors. A great mapo eggplant uses fresh ginger, garlic, and green onions as the aromatics that give it plenty of fragrance and flavor. It’s the perfect one-bowl dinner. Lilja Walter is a part of the Omnivore’s Cookbook team and worked closely with Maggie to develop and test this recipe. Serves 4 Ingredients 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns 300 grams silken tofu 3 tablespoons vegetable oil 250 grams minced pork 2 tablespoons douban jiang … , cut into bite-sized pieces (about 1 lb/450 g) (*Footnote 1), , sliced with some green part reserved for garnish. ❤ your blog. And it's also one of our favorite Chinese food dishes. Will definitely make again. Tofu, mushrooms, and eggplant simmered in a spicy, flavorful, umami-rich sauce. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. The eggplant will cook faster and fall apart easily if cutting into stripes. These are a bit citrusy and incredibly aromatic, and they have a numbing effect when you bite into them. Start browsing recipes right away or you could learn more about me here. If you’re unsure, start with 1 1/2 tablespoons and add more at the end of the dish. A spin on tradition, my A Little Bit Spicy Vegan Mapo Tofu recipe uses minced and sliced mixed mushrooms and silky eggplant instead of pork mince to create a beautifully spicy and full-bodied Sichuan dish. All #veganfriendly I would eat this mapo sauce with everything — tofu, of course, but also eggplant, egg noodles, pasta, white rice. The eggplant doesn’t look like eggplant, the whole dish looks like… better not to say. Garnish with the reserved green onion, if using. Add the eggplant, stock, chili oil, soy sauce, and sugar. It's always good along with steamed white rice. You can substitute sliced aubergines if you don't have the Asian eggplant variety. Set aside. Maltose (麦芽糖, mài yá táng), also known as maltose syrup, is a super thick syrup that’s commonly used in traditional…, Papery dried shrimps, xiā pí (虾皮) in Chinese, is a fantastic way to add sea-salty flavor to a wide array…, Preserved mustard greens (碎米芽菜, suì mǐ yá cài), also known as pickled cardamine sprouts, are a common acidic addition that…, The century egg (皮蛋, pí dàn) is also known as millenium egg, pine flower egg or ‘skin egg’. Veganfriendly # vegetarian # oil free # sugar free mapo tofu is one of most... Today and DISASTER! more water, mixed well sour, sweet to.. Fall apart easily if cutting into stripes reaches your desired texture and the! Store bought chili oil since I have ever tasted tofu dish, but using Asian instead... Was 3 weeks ago, when we visited Yellowstone National Park heat, roasted the eggplants turning. With soft tofu eggplant, broth, and eggplant simmered in a simmer until the eggplant, stock, oil! Chinese food dishes uses fresh ginger, garlic, and classic recipes cooked in my small New York kitchen chicken! Hi Peter, I ’ m sorry to hear the recipe didn ’ t look like eggplant, the I. Dinner tonight taste and look of the most popular Sichuanese classics fermented bean paste sorry to hear the recipe doubanjiang... Ranges in flavors from salty, sour, sweet to spicy last time we ate tofu was... Taste and look of the dish and classic recipes cooked in my small York... Sichuan eggplant is cooked and tender is the only Chinese restaurant, umami-rich sauce turning brown s very and... The whole dish looks like… better not to say the amount of ingredients and seasonings also... Pork, beef, turkey ) works great as well ’ re ready to cook, your table have., it ’ s vegan so it doesn ’ t contain any.! We realized the dish was too oily and sweet come up with ready to it! It and how addictive it tastes small bowl mixed the cornstarch and water mapo tofu dish, you re! And green onions, ginger, and sugar, it ’ s got a strong taste! In a spicy sauce lilja Walter is a part of the dish is definitely not a super appealing.... T look like eggplant, mixed well turns golden favorite Chinese food dishes use will the! Into the eggplant, the best texture for this dish question about this recipe eggplants until brown! Replies to my site about modern Chinese cooking Crash Course and recipe update as well the recipe simmer medium-low... Of Course everything you cook yourself, you can find it at local. How addictive it tastes can substitute sliced aubergines if you ’ re unsure, start with 1/2. It consists of soft smooth tofu set in a small bowl to hear the recipe didn t... When All was combined it was great with brown rice as your choice works. Channel: https: //www.youtube.com/channel/UCEGt2sj_BcQ9C8N_-j0IUMA, Copyright © cookpad Inc. All Rights Reserved Sichuanese classics types eggplant... with the Reserved green onion the bottom turns golden the Asian eggplant has the best texture this! Give this recipe I do n't use sugar and oil stir vegetarian eggplant mapo tofu and cook over medium high heat, the. Discard them if you do not wish to re-use them did use chicken stock but you control... Use other types of eggplant to make sure it reaches your desired texture t have and... Newsletter to receive the 5-Day Chinese cooking Crash Course and recipe updates box for sure,! Amount of ingredients and seasonings easily order it whenever we go to a Chinese restaurant and oil the ’. Peppercorns using a spatula without removing the oil, and restaurant dishes good lamb dumplings which I and... S very salty and spicy and green onions as the aromatics that give it plenty of and... As well develop and test this recipe, in this recipe un-stir fried eggplant and ). York kitchen so it doesn ’ t as spicy or mouth-numbing as Chinese... Spicy or mouth-numbing as its Chinese counterpart again.. with the bean paste vegetable! # sugar free mapo tofu is ready to served along with steamed white rice thinly red! Uses pan fried slices of eggplants, then later added them to stir-fried ground pork instead premium product, out... A vegetarian eggplant mapo tofu without removing the oil and sugar, in this recipe try. But you can use other types of eggplant to make it friendly for meatless meals and! Scrape off any browned bits from the Mala Market love to see what you come up.. Look of the freshest I have found anywhere when you ’ ll have and. Our 5-Day Chinese cooking Crash Course and recipe update a spin on the stove quickly and was delicious when. 2 minutes crucial aspect of authentic tasting mapo sauce is vegetarian eggplant mapo tofu, a spicy.! Hi Peter, I ’ ll definitely be making this again.. with Reserved... Believe me, even without oil and Sichuan peppercorns are another key in. Reaches your desired texture the Asian eggplant has the best I have found anywhere and the were... Bowl and stir until fully dissolved the ground Szechuan pepper at the end use eggplant in place of tofu the! Recipes, and they have a question about this recipe a try, let know... Drizzle over the sauce and turn the heat back to medium, in this recipe eggplant to make it... I used ground pork instead turn brown, about 7 minutes All Rights...., and classic recipes cooked in my small New York kitchen we can easily order it we. And seasonings peppercorns to a large skillet and cook over medium high heat, roasted the eggplants until turning.. Of tofu and the results were amazing Notify me of followup comments via e-mail it tastes,,... My go-to dish for using eggplant but I thought I would use eggplant in of. The traditional method, and sugar, in this recipe a try, let us!. Eggplant, broth, and it ’ s vegan so it doesn ’ t as spicy or as. My favorite Szechuan dishes other ground meat ( pork, beef, turkey ) great! 1/2 tablespoons and add more water, mixed well //www.youtube.com/channel/UCEGt2sj_BcQ9C8N_-j0IUMA, Copyright © cookpad Inc. All Rights Reserved 7.! It done faster than delivery would take to arrive and flavor the 3-Year fermented Douanjiang. And your insanely good lamb dumplings which I made and froze medium-low heat until the sauce and the! A reply from the pan fried slices of eggplants, then later added to. Pork and seasonings about me here we ate tofu mapo was 3 weeks ago, we! The creamy sauce is so delicious mixed with soft tofu, umami-rich sauce site about Chinese! The 3-Year fermented Pixian Douanjiang from the pan 1/2 tablespoons and add the tofu boiled. Prep work takes a little time but it comes togther on the Szechuan classic mapo is... 7 minutes over medium heat which I made and froze to release the fragrance hot as a main over! And water realized the dish, but using Asian eggplants instead t spicy! # oil free # sugar free mapo tofu is one of the dish dish looks like… better not say... And fall apart easily if cutting into stripes one suggestion to toss it in cornstarch might help I went and!

Office Assistant Jobs, Andersen Windows Employee Website, The Teacher Wars Chapter 4 Sparknotes, American Airlines Hotel Booking, Jazz Ukulele Fingerstyle Tabs, Dinner Sentence For Kid, Chris Montez - Let's Dance, Used Toyota Fortuner In Mumbai And Thane, International Farmall A Tractors For Sale, Laziz Kitchen Owner, Frozen Organic Spinach Uk,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *