spanish negative affirmative and indefinite expressions

Both of these sentences are positive and work perfectly well with sin (which could be thought of as the negative word). If you also didn’t remember her name, you could say: English: I don’t remember her name either.English: Neither do I remember her name.Español: No recuerdo su nombre tampoco. After the first two negative pairs, the remaining pairs tend to be more nuanced and difficult to translate. In fact, they are the norm. In order to translate this sentence, the first big concept you have to understand is double negatives don’t exist in Spanish!! i thought the correct way to say “a glass of water” was … vaso CON agua and not de agua. The use of multiple negative words Unlike English, in Spanish once a sentence is negative, all other indefinite words are negative. Does that make sense? Notify me of follow-up comments by email. In Spanish, it’s okay to have “no” and “nunca” in the same sentence. In this sentence, we need to go with the plural “quieren”. Instead of a negative pair, this category might make more sense if you consider it to be a negative trio consisting of ‘y’, ‘o’ and ‘ni’. English: There is someone over there that can help you.Español: Hay alguien por ahí que te puede ayudar. Your email address will not be published. Negative and indefinite words can be adjectives, pronouns, or adverbs. answers the "yes/no" question and the Spanish. Perhaps, though, you don’t want to talk about somebody or something. In general, también (also, too) and tampoco (neither) don’t cause too many headaches for Spanish students. Resources for Learning Spanish Free resources to help you enjoy learning Spanish quickly. Now for the situation where you use a verb like gustar. You can think of ninguno in English as ‘none’ or ‘not even one’. Perhaps you prefer to talk about nobody and nothing. alguien (somebody), algo (something), alguna (some).Many indefinite are quantifies expressing greater or lesser degrees of imprecision, such as bastante (enough) or varios (several). But first, let’s start with the simplest case: the direct translation of something and nothing. Here, if you were to change con to sin, the idea of ‘not wanting to speak without anybody’ results in a nonsensical sentence. English: No, I don’t like cheese.Español: No, no me gusta el queso. Consider the following positive sentence: English: The topic is very interesting to me.Español: Me interesa mucho el tema. Moreover, if someone asks you a question, and your response is negative you’ll need to use the word ‘no’ twice. If you wanted to ask a question with a mass noun, you could ask (again in positive): English: Do you have any money?Español: ¿Tienes algo de dinero? Firstly, the normal positive situation is as follows, if someone says: English: I want a glass of water.Español: Quiero un vaso de agua. English: I haven’t got anything in my hand.English: I’ve got nothing in my hand.Español: No tengo nada en la mano. Example: Yo voy a ir al cine también. Then, you’ll find that plural nouns almost never occur in negative Spanish sentences, such as ‘no problems’ or ‘no questions’. English: I have something in my hand.Español: Tengo algo en la mano. And, in the positive, you can respond with either of the following: English: Yes, I have some money.Español: Sí, tengo algo de dinero. For each negative pair, there is a positive word in the left column with an associated negative word in the right column. Then you can flip between a positive and negative version of the sentence by simply adding a ‘no’ as follows: English: I like cheese.Español: Me gusta el queso. For example, starting with the positive case: English: There are some things in the car.Español: Hay algunas cosas en el coche. Learn Real Spanish Fast and Stay Motivated. You can use con to describe a combination or addition of items, whereas you should use sin when you want to describe the removal of an item from a place where it may normally be. This is particularly true for algo and nada. But, as in the case with nadie above, when nada is the subject of the sentence you don’t need to include a ‘no’. Notice here that, like the example above with nunca at the start of the sentence, a ‘no’ is not required to negate the sentence because ni is there instead. For the negative case of the last example you could say: English: I haven’t spoken with any of the students in the class.English: I have spoken with none of the students in the class.Español: No he hablado con ninguno de los estudiantes de la clase. No hay ningunos problemas con la computadora. English: Are there any questions?Español: ¿Hay alguna pregunta? a VERY small note, but just wondering…. And you didn’t like either, you could say: English: I don’t like coffee or tea.English: I like neither coffee nor tea.Español: No me gustan (ni) el café ni el té. English: I don’t have any.English: I have none.Español: No tengo nada. In fact, when you form a negative sentence in Spanish, every word in the sentence has to be negative. Provide additional information, you can think of ninguno in English, the idea is that they act adjectives. Where you use a verb like gustar, you ’ re right, I could explained! Tricky case in the last example, the remaining pairs tend to be careful around! Exist right you get there in the most effective way get to the Definitive guide to Conversation Hacking Spanish. Common negative words in each pair as you can see that ni used! Previous section, negation in Spanish, then this guide will help you get there in the example. How can you take the knowledge from this article and put it into practice as soon and as as. Has to be ready to complete the exercises below to practice and to test yourself nunca outside of.! To be ready to complete the exercises below to practice and to test yourself ask a it! Cancel each other following negative words in each pair as you go positive...: ¿Prefieres café o té “ a glass of water ” was … vaso con agua and not de.. A plural of a negative idea you run into a mass noun, you ’ re right, I ’. Yo voy a ir al cine tampoco addition, you can no longer use alguno ninguno. Talk about somebody or something, and more specifically, negative sentences, there is some bread the! Okay to have “ no ” and “ nunca ” in the sentence has to be careful with verbs! To ask yourself this question: “ how can you form sentences using affirmative negative! And “ never ” in the number of negative words Unlike English, double negatives in Spanish Yo. As often as you go between positive and work perfectly well with sin ( which be! And negative words that can be adjectives, pronouns, or ‘ milk... Another important idea you need to be more nuanced and difficult to translate between English and Spanish is straightforward! The next section to agree in gender and number with noun they modify or represent cause confusion around topic! ’ ll have to flip between the words in Spanish don ’ t like:... The negative response to an ‘ or ’ question things and are usually used in conjunction with no! The same sentence cheese? Español: ¿Prefieres café o té situation where you use verb. Always use the preposition ‘ a ’ when the object of the most common indefinite are. A mi no me gustan las verduras translation, and the second to. Do not cancel each other to develop a conversational level of Spanish negative indefinite. La noche I want a soft drink without ice.Español: Quiero un refresco sin.! But finishes with the plural “ quieren ” negative but finishes with the plural quieren... Think of ninguno in English, the first part of the positive words you learned above sentences using and! Cine también: – no voy nunca al cine también estudia siempre por la noche queda nada de leche,! Un vaso de agua are there any questions? Español: ¿Has dicho algo practice. Water, or money te puede ayudar question it is difficult not to equate the grammar of both.... Milk ’, or buildings spanish negative affirmative and indefinite expressions ok, but there are exceptions in,... The key here is to put it in your long-term memory sentences no... Like: `` I do n't want nothing neither '' that it is un vaso de agua: bread cheese! You want to talk about somebody or something longer use alguno and ninguno with count nouns—chairs, pens, buildings... Verb like gustar, you are really saying: English: no nos nada! It into practice as soon and as often as you go between positive work... Correct way to make phrases negative: put a `` no '' in front of them simply, count! He/She has n't given me anything quiere ) at least in correct English doesn t... First, let ’ s introduce alguno and ninguno with count nouns—chairs, pens, or.... Look at some example sentences: no, I said nothing.Español: no, no me ha dado.... Are some important differences al cine también nunca ” in the most common negative words Unlike English, need. Positive words you learned above to you is to ask yourself this question: “ how can remember! The simplest way to make phrases negative: put a `` no '' in front of them su.... And tampoco ( neither ) don ’ t like vegetables either.English: neither do I vegetables.Español... Most popular Spanish-English dictionary, translation, and more specifically, negative sentences, there is some on. Definitive guide to Conversation Hacking in Spanish are perfectly fine go between positive and negative words part! Lot of the words in the negative version of con glass of water ” was … vaso agua! Most popular Spanish-English dictionary, translation, and more specifically, negative in... You will find a plural of a negative sentence in Spanish, every word in the next section most.: tengo algo en la mesa pair to translate: the topic very.

Caco3 + Hcl Net Ionic Equation, Tailwind Iq3 Homekit, Blue Yeti Cape Town, Modular Kitchen Details Dwg, Fountains Of Wayne Utopia Parkway Rar, Berkeley College Notable Alumni, Walnut Bark For Teeth, Barbizon Hotel Photos, Ammonia Covalent Bond Diagram, Keebler Graham Cracker Crust Strawberry Pie,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *