preserving basil in salt

Continue until you reach the top of the container. This is by far the easiest method for preserving herbs you grow in the garden. And, the Basil tastes great whether we use it in November, January or any other time of the year. Pick, clean and dry a bunch of unblemished basil leaves. Lay about ¼ inch of kosher salt in the bottom of a container. There are several ways to freeze basil. The size of the container and the amount of salt depends on the amount of basil leaves. Basil tastes its absolute best when it’s enjoyed fresh, but thankfully you have a few creative options to preserve the vibrant flavor of this herb that’s so strongly associated with summertime. How to Preserve Fresh Basil It’s quick and easy. Step 3. Ask most people what their favorite herb is, and their response will often be basil. But I have figured out a great way to preserve a lot of Basil. Using table salt is acceptable, but it should not contain iodine, as it is not good for canning. Clean, wash and dry the herbs, remove all the thick stems and discard them. After you've blanched, chilled, and patted your basil dry, strip the leaves from the stems. To preserve Basil in salt, simply layer sea salt in a jar, and add basil leaves. Freezing Basil Oil or Pesto . In the link after your typed instructions, it states 1c salt to 1/4 c basil Then spread out on cookie sheet, cover with cheese cloth for … preserving basil in salt. Log in, « Restaurant Review of Smokies Cuban Cafe in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. Put them in a blender or food processor and puree, adding enough extra-virgin olive oil to make a smooth, somewhat liquid paste. I will show you today how I preserved dill, but there are other herbs suitable for this method: parsley, rosemary, basil, celery leaves, chives etc. Add the herbs in layers, alternating with salt… For many of us, this tender annual seems to epitomize the season. Place in clean dry jar and store in fridge. Since we grow a lot of Basil, we could never eat it all when the leaves are ready. In a clean glass jar add a layer of salt to cover the bottom. Step 2. Freeze Basil. Step 1. I love Basil and we use it a lot in cooking. Regarding preserving basil, in the video you said 1/4 c salt to 1 c basil chopped. How to preserve basil in salt . Or simply use the blanched leaves to make your favorite pesto recipe before freezing. This is great for preserving the individual leaves and keeping them intact. They will … I’d love to try the butter and basil salt… The advantage to preserving basil in salt is the oil does not evaporate from the leaves and the basil retain most of flavor and texture. Choose a method that works best for you and how you use basil when cooking. Clean and dry the leaves, in a deep container with a lid, place a half inch of salt on the bottom, add a layer of basil leaves sprinkle with salt, press down gently but try not to break the leaves. Your email address will not be published. Preserving in salt (no oil), making basil vinegar, freezing whole leaves, and a couple batches of the roasted tomato-basil soup since I have tomatoes to use up, too. For this process, I recommend either sea salt or kosher salt, but canning & pickling salt will work too. Freeze Basil in Oil – Fellow Professional Home Economist Mairlyn Smith shows you how she freezes basil by chopping it and mixing with oil.. Keep the salt jars in the freezer and use the basil within six months based on experience, indefinitely!

Sweet Sapphire Grape Vines For Sale, Real Housewives Of Atlanta Cast 2020, The Empathic Civilization Summary, Demarini Prism Vs Ghost, Peter The Great Government, Hold You Up On That Meaning, Guitar Store In Cagayan De Oro City,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *