john 6:53 meaning

Nothing can possibly be more absurd than to suppose that when he instituted the Supper, and gave the bread and wine to his disciples, they literally ate his flesh and drank his blood. It may be added that if the bread and wine used in the Lord's Supper were not changed into his literal body and blood when it was first instituted, they have never been since. Compare Galatians 2:20; Ephesians 3:17. Then Jesus said unto them The Jews, who were litigating this point among themselves: verily, verily, I say unto you; or you may assure yourselves of the truth of what follows. [ See verse text ] Jesus has greatly offended the people who came to find Him in Capernaum (John 6:52). Appropriate the saving merit of His death. Proud member The "flesh" and "blood" of Christ do not design those distinct parts of his body; much less as separate from each other; nor the whole body of Christ, but his whole human nature; or Christ, as having united a perfect human nature to him, in order to shed his blood for the remission of sin, and to offer up his soul and body a sacrifice for it: and the eating of these is not to be understood of a corporeal eating of them, as the Capernaites understood them; and since them the Papists, who affirm, that the bread and wine in the Lord's supper are transubstantiated into the very body and blood of Christ, and so eaten: but this is not to be understood of eating and drinking in the Lord's supper, which, as yet, was not instituted; and some, without participating of this, have spiritual life in them now, and will enjoy eternal life hereafter; and all that partake of that ordinance have not the one, nor shall have the other: and besides, having a principle of spiritual life in the soul, is previously necessary to a right eating of the supper of the Lord. 6:53 Having life in oneself The consequence of believing is to have life in his name, according to John 20:31. Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead. The passover was approaching, and the reference may well have been to the flesh and blood of the paschal lamb. my flesh and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. John 6:53-54. εἶπεν οὖν … ἡμέρᾳ. John 6:53, NASB: "So Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves." Compare Colossians 3:3. Now, though the acts of eating and drinking do not give the right to eternal life, but the flesh, blood, and righteousness of Christ, which faith lays hold, and feeds upon; yet it is by faith the right is claimed; and between these acts of faith, and eternal life, there is an inseparable connection. The reason of this is that their attention was thus more likely to … But the words design a spiritual eating of Christ by faith. So it is taught in the decrees of the Council of Trent; and to such absurdities are men driven when they depart from the simple meaning of the Scriptures and from common sense. Have no life in you (οὐκ ἔχετε ζωὴν ἐν ἑαυτοῖς). verily, verily, I say unto you; or you may assure yourselves of the truth of what follows. except ye eat the flesh of the son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you: by "the son of man", Christ means himself; under which title he often speaks of himself; because it was a title of the Messiah under the Old Testament; and was expressive of the truth of his human nature, though as attended with weakness and infirmities. Life in you.—More exactly, life in yourselves. Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man.—The words point more definitely than those which have gone before to His death. These words, understood in this sense, once introduced infants to the Lord's supper; as misinterpretation of John 3:5 brought in the baptism of them. Christ explained that He was the "true bread from Heaven" (John 6:32–33). John 6:53 German Bible Alphabetical: and blood drink eat flesh have his I in Jesus life Man no of said say So Son tell the them to Truly truth unless you yourselves NT Gospels: John 6:53 Jesus therefore said to them Most certainly (Jhn Jo Jn) Christian Bible Study Resources, Dictionary, Concordance and … John 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood Spiritually by faith, as explained in the preceding verse: hath eternal life; the principle of spiritual life, which is evidently implanted in … Although Jesus’ words “I am the bread of life” are familiar to many Christians, in this passage the disciples declare this to be a “hard saying.” Jesus is teaching in the synagogue (John 6:69), where he is interpreting a passage of scripture that was introduced by the crowd in verse 31. 6:54a Has eternal life Eternal life is the 6:54b The blood is spoken of as distinct from the flesh, and in this is involved physical death. His body was offered on the cross, and was raised up from the dead and received into heaven. It is to traverse the soul, passing from the Eternal Life and Love, which is the heart of the universe, through the humanity of Christ, and carrying in its course life and energy for every child of man. In fact, I pretty much avoided John 6 during my fifteen-plus years in Protestant ministry because I was uncomfortable with this very question: symbolic or literal. Observe the effect this miracle had upon the people. In no less than seven passages of the Pentateuch had the eating of blood been forbidden (Genesis 9:4; Leviticus 3:17; Leviticus 7:26-27; Leviticus 17:10-14; Leviticus 19:26; Deuteronomy 12:16; Deuteronomy 12:23-24; Deuteronomy 15:23); and we find in later times the strength of the feeling of abhorrence, as in 1Samuel 14:32, and Ezekiel 33:25, and in the decree of the first Judæo-Christian Council (Acts 15:29). 54 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. John 6 – The Bread from Heaven A. This chapter in John remained safely untouched up on the nice shelf. California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. In 1 John 5:10-12, having life is associated with believing in the Son of God. The text in John 6:53 is ordinarily understood as a sacramental reference to the cup and bread of Passover, but chronologically speaking, the Last Seder had not yet occurred. The Lord Jesus would institute it just as he meant it should be observed, and there is nothing now in that ordinance which there was not when the Saviour first appointed it. All true life must be in Christ. There he stood, a living man - his body yet alive, his blood flowing in his veins; and how can it be believed that this body was eaten and this blood drunk? Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools. Yet this absurdity must be held by those who hold that the bread and wine at the communion are "changed into the body, blood, and divinity of our Lord." The happiness of heaven and all spiritual blessings are often represented under this image, Matthew 8:11; Matthew 26:29; Luke 14:15, etc. Not according to the Greek. Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. except ye eat the flesh of the son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you: by "the son of man", Christ means himself; under which title he often speaks of himself; because it was a title of the Messiah under the Old Testament; and was expressive of the truth of his human nature, though as attended with weakness and infirmities. This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die. of The Pharisees despised them as not knowing the law; but they knew most of Him who is the end of the law. In paragraph 1376 of the "Catechism of the Catholic Church the Council of Trent" summarizes the Catholic faith by declaring: “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. John 6:54, ESV: "Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day." The "flesh" and "blood" of Christ do not design those distinct parts of his body; much less as separate from each other; nor the whole body of Christ, but his whole human nature; or Christ, as having united a perfect human nature to him, in order to shed his blood for the remission of sin, and to offer up his soul and body a sacrifice for it: and the eating of these is not to be understood of a corporeal eating of them, as the Capernaites understood them; and since them the Papists, who affirm, that the bread and wine in the Lord's supper are transubstantiated into the very body and blood of Christ, and so eaten: but this is not to be understood of eating and drinking in the Lord's supper, which, as yet, was not instituted; and some, without participating of this, have spiritual life in them now, and will enjoy eternal life hereafter; and all that partake of that ordinance have not the one, nor shall have the other: and besides, having a principle of spiritual life in the soul, is previously necessary to a right eating of the supper of the Lord. The Gospel of John 6:53-58 53 So Jesus said to the [the Jews], “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. The plain meaning of the passage is, that by his bloody death - his body and his blood offered in sacrifice for sin - he would procure pardon and life for man; that they who partook of that, or had an interest in that, should obtain eternal life.

University Of Miami Pharmacy School, Anime Characters With Plant Powers, Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Usa, Does Magnesium React With Water, Raffaello Dessert Cup Recipe, Kathril Doubling Season, Serta Perfect Embrace Crib And Toddler Mattress Dimensions,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *