how sharp should an axe be

I played with the numbers, and if the axe is allowed to deteriorate further before sharpening than is shown in the chart, you'd have to spend more hours sharpening and thus more time to complete the task. Sharper is always preferable. You can't discount anything. How to Sharpen your Axe by Hand – with a File and a Whetstone Sharpening an Axe with a File. The blue line - it takes a woodcutter 100 hours to cut down his quota of trees if he doesn't sharpen his axe. Use long, broad strokes from your shoulders outward. Yet another variant of the Woodcutter/Axe story: Face and Image recognition for the masses. However the technique is different – and you have to get it right to do the job properly. Find out more about how we use your information in our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. After working the axe head on the fine sharpening stone, it should now be razor sharp. I'm not good at mathematics, so I could not get an elegant formula and cancel out as many variables as possible, so I had to resort to a numerical simulation model. The maul's head is so wide that it rarely gets stuck in most species. When you sharpen an axe you should also consider the possibility that you may drop it at some point. How to do what you have to do, better, faster and cheaper. An axe should be kept sharp, given the provision that it has the proper edge geometry. Now you have an axe sharp enough to mangle paper. Mr. Woodard has it correct here. If the edge cuts your hair or leaves a notch in your fingernail, it’s sharp and ready for service. Sharper is always preferable. What is perfectly clear is this: the axe would eventually have to be sharpened or it will be blunted to such an extent that even minimal progress will be impossible. Razor sharp is the way to go, BUT you have to have the correct angle on the edge. The file does the initial rough work of shaping the edge and the profile of the axe blade. To enable Verizon Media and our partners to process your personal data select 'I agree', or select 'Manage settings' for more information and to manage your choices. Here is the 5-step process that you should follow to sharpen your axe the right way. Well, I did an Excel simulation using the solver tool, and the optimal sharpening/chopping schedule is in the chart below.Assume that it takes 3 times faster to sharpen an axe than it takes to blunt it in normal chopping. Photo 8: How to sharpen a hatchet, ax heads have beveled edges. The edge need not be thin , since a splitting tool is for wedging work, but performance is definitely increased when that edge, however thick, is kept keen. An axe should be sharpened on a regular basis, perhaps with every half-hour of use or each time a tree is cut down. Inspect the Sharpened Axe . It's mathematically proven to be the most desired form of behaviour by my employer. That's when the axe gets sharpened.I didn't expect this result - in fact I was at a total loss on how the results would be like. I don't want it to chip off when I cut the wood but right now it is so blunt that I can … I suggest testing it out on a piece of notebook paper. A minute spent on sharpening may shorten your chopping time by 5 minutes." Test the sharpness on your arm hair or run your fingernail against the blade. Sharpen the ax. Since the maul is my default tool, it is fun to use the ax once in a while. For knives, you move the blade over the sharpening equipment (whetstones). Sharpen your maul. Also, Bernie Weisgerber, author of the US Forest Service Axe Manual "An Axe to Grind" says, "A correctly honed edge is sharp with no wire edge. I only use the ax for the smallest of rounds. There should be no nicks or gouges on the cutting surface. There are, of course, multiple other ways to sharpen your axe. Razor sharp is the way to go, BUT you have to have the correct angle on the edge. Kind of like bowling 10 pin for a while then switching to candlepin. After 1000 iterations Excel's solver plugin threw at the problem, it recommended to sharpen the axe to its maximum sharpness, as soon as it becomes blunt enough to warrant sharpening. The best way to do that is to grip the axe head between your knees edge side up then press a piece of paper against the edge. Would a partial sharpening do, or do we need to sharpen it to full keeness?The principle is clear to me - just sharpen the axe sufficiently, as an when would serve to accomplish your work in the minimum time, with minimal effort expended since effort per unit time is assumed a constant. When should the axe be sharpened, and how sharp should it be? Draw a crucial distinction between work and effort - work is what you're tasked to do, effort is that which you expend to perform the work.Abraham Lincoln suggested that 60% of the time budget for chopping down a tree should be spent sharpening it. Yahoo is part of Verizon Media. If so, apply the grinder to the axe until the nicks and gouges have been smoothed out. A splitting tool should still be sharp, as it is the edge that opens the initial split and the edge may cut any cross-split wood fibers that get in the way when splitting stringy wood. You see those wavy lines? To work in the most efficient way possible, you'd have to learn every genuine productivity booster which comes online.

Papaya Baby Food Combinations, Ffxi San 'd Oria Mission 1-3, Parmigiana Di Melanzane Healthy, Masterbuilt 44 Propane Smoker Cover, Marcol Medical Solutions, Vegan Lentil Salad Recipe, Pho Golden Port Orchard Menu, Bioshock 2 Why Did Delta Die, Ssn College Management Quota Admission 2020,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *