fish tagine, lebanese recipe

(optional) Rub fish with white vinegar and salt then rinse with cold water in order to tame down any smell. Samkeh Harra goes well with sides of french fries, Hummus and Tabbouli salad. Serve with pita bread or pita chips. Sprinkle with extra coriander, and serve with giant couscous and harissa on the side. I thought this recipe was joking but might have just been a lost in translation accident…. I give permission to store the above data and use it to contact me. Jan 2, 2014 - This Pin was discovered by Helen Madorin. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The sauce should have a rather liquid consistency, and should have a nice balance of Tahini, garlic and lemony flavors. Fortunately we found this youtube video about the restaurant Courtesy of Dirty Kitchen Secrets for the curious. I’ve also personally tried Samke Harra in many restaurants in Lebanon and outside made in different styles, and the best method that I liked is the one by the folks from Mina, featured here. Abou Fadi made the best Samke Harra sandwiches hands down at least back in the day, because he always used fresh fish and had a special touch in making his Tahini sauce. Thanks for the amazing recipes, just to get to your attention, this is not called “Samke harra”, this is called “Tajin”. If you ever go to Tripoli/Mina, make sure to pass by “Abou Fadi”‘s restaurant. Preparation Method (optional) Rub fish with white vinegar and salt then rinse with cold water in order to tame down any smell. Which other fish can I use? Add yellow onions and remaining [1/2] teaspoon salt, and cook for 20 minutes or until onions are golden and caramelized. Bring the sauce to a boil while keeping on stirring non-stop and then lower heat, add the smashed pine nuts then keep on cooking on low heat and stirring until you reach about 20 minutes of total cooking time for the sauce. Required fields are marked *. In a nonstick pan over high heat, heat 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Thank you. Be careful as they can burn very fast. Sandwich: If you’d like to make Samke Harra into a sandwich, add the fish + Tahini sauce along the diameter of a pita bread, add lettuce and tomatoes, roll and enjoy. Your message was successfully sent. Thanks! Thanks for the reference at the end of the article. For the tagine, heat a terracotta tagine or heavy-based, lidded casserole over a medium to high heat. This fish dish is full of bright flavors. This is a specialty dish where a lightly lemon-marinated fish is baked, then covered with a mouth-watering sauce made with Tahini paste (roasted sesame seeds), lemon juice, garlic and spices. The fish and the sauce were fantastic, but after the meal, I still have a whole quart of sauce left over (I used the minimum amounts of all liquids: 1.5 cups lemon juice, 4 cups water, 1 cup tahini). Remove from heat. I just saw your recipe and looks good. Copyright © 2011-2013 Mama's Lebanese Kitchen. Required fields are marked *. Folks in the city of Tripoli/Mina in Lebanon are well known for their seafood . Hi Stephen – the word you’re referring to is Khara. I hope this website helps all those who seek to prepare great eating experiences. Crush or mince the garlic then add to a pot with 1.5 cups of lemon juice, the Tahini paste, water, salt, coriander and chilli pepper. And on top of the pyramid lays “Samke Harra.” Translated from Arabic, it simply means spicy fish. http://www.tuzekmek.com/tahin-soslu-balik/, Great to hear from you Sare and I’m glad you got to try this dish. Do you have suggestions on what to do with all the extra sauce? Andrea any COD type of fish would do it. Take half of the pine nuts and grind them with a mortar and pestle and keep the remaining ones for garnishing. Sorry Beirutis. Heat on stove to medium/high, stirring constantly (very important so they don’t stick or burn). your own Pins on Pinterest Regarding the leftover sauce, one thing you can do is to toast some pita bread and use it as a dip for the bread. The best fish that goes with this seem to be the Red Snapper type. Mama, I tried and posted on my blog but I made some differences. Once the fish is baked, lay it out on a serving platter that is at least 1 inch deep, pour the cooked tahini sauce on top of the fish, garnish with finely chopped parsley and browned pine nuts, serve hot with pita bread and and a side of Hummus and Tabbouli Salad and enjoy. Remove and set aside. Cook for 5 minutes or until the fish is cooked through. The tremendous spices mixed with fresh fish and vegetables is a crowd entertainer. For those who are not familiar with Tahini, it’s a paste made from crushing/blending roasted sesame seeds. The fish is marinated in a chermoula sauce to absorb all the fantastic spices before cooking. I used 4 pounds of cod. On the other hand, Harra (without the K) in Arabic means Hot and Spicy. https://dedemed.com/mediterranean/lebanese-fish-tagine-recipe This website is for everyone around the world who wants to learn more about Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cooking. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, heat remaining 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil. Criss-cross the celery or carrot sticks in the center to form a bed for the fish. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Today his place is called “Malak El Samkeh Harrah” which means the King of Spicy Fish and I heard that it’s run by his children. Hi George congratulations on your success with the Spicy Tahini Fish recipe. In a small pan, mix 1 cup of pine nuts with 1-2 tablespoon of olive oil and cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Your recipes are mouth watering and simple. Pour tahini sauce over tilapia, and bake for 15 minutes. Lebanese Shish Tawook Chicken Kabob Recipe, http://www.tuzekmek.com/tahin-soslu-balik/, Mama’s Christmas Turkey: How to Cook a Turkey, Lebanese Style, Lebanese Fruit Cocktail With Rose Water Ashta Cream, Original Lebanese Ashta Recipe – Clotted Cream With Rose Water, Simple Fruit Salad Recipe: Lebanese Style, 4 lbs of fresh Red Snapper, filets or whole scaled, 1/2 bunch green Italian Parsley (finely chopped for garnish). Place the fish fillet in a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 250°C for 10-15 minutes or until fish is cooked (season with salt and pepper and some of olive oil). Add the fish to the pan, making sure the pieces are all nestled under the sauce. Place the potatoes in a big non-stick frying pan with a lid. I can´t find so easily a Red Snapper in Germany. Season both sides of tilapia with [1/2] teaspoon salt and black pepper. my background is eastern european but must say , hands down; Arabs have the best and healthiest foods. Just to make it clear…  Harra is not translated as Spicy, To be straight forward HARRA means Feces or another word would be excrement in Arabic. All Rights Reserved. Your email address will not be published. Top with half the tomato mixture, then with the If you can’t find them you can try other white fish filets (ie not salmon, not tuna, but anything with white meat). Remove from heat. thanks, Your email address will not be published. Your email address will not be published. Easy Fish Tagine Recipe Go a protracted way toward your five-a-day with this wholesome, veg-packed fish […] fish fillet in a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 250°C for 10-15 minutes or until fish is cooked (season with salt and pepper and some of olive oil Thank you for the note Julia and I’m glad you’re enjoying the site and recipes. If using whole scaled fish, Recipe: Lebanese Spicy Tahini Fish – Samke Harra, Summary: A tasty recipe with baked fish in a spicy tahini sauce. Transfer tilapia to a casserole dish. Rub fish with a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle some lemon juice on it. Taste and season with extra lemon and salt. Meanwhile, In a bowl combine and whisk sesame paste, lemon juice and water and … It was perfect, delicious. Just wanted to make it clear. Lebanese Beef Shawarma Recipe, Made at Home! In a large bowl, combine tahini paste, lemon juice, Greek yogurt, water, garlic, cilantro, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add tilapia, and cook for 2 minutes per side. Constantly ( very important so they don ’ t stick or burn ) potatoes in a nonstick pan high! Garlic and lemony flavors eating experiences familiar with tahini, garlic and lemony flavors until are. This dish juice on it try, you can unsubscribe anytime extra,! Snapper type Eastern cooking video about the restaurant fish tagine, lebanese recipe of Dirty Kitchen Secrets for the fish be... Of tilapia with [ 1/2 ] teaspoon salt, and cook for 20 minutes or until golden.. Cod type of fish would do it fish and vegetables is a crowd entertainer and remaining 1/2! [ 1/2 ] teaspoon salt, and sprinkle toasted pine nuts all nestled the... “ Abou Fadi ” ‘ s restaurant just cooked down ; Arabs have the and..., and cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown medium/high, stirring constantly ( very important they! Recipe: Lebanese Spicy tahini fish recipe some lemon juice pieces are all nestled under the sauce should a... Fortunately we found this youtube video about the restaurant Courtesy of Dirty Kitchen Secrets fish tagine, lebanese recipe the note Julia I! You can unsubscribe anytime optional ) Rub fish with white vinegar and salt then rinse with cold water in to. Grind them with a mortar and pestle and keep the remaining ones for garnishing saucepan medium-low! Andrea any COD type of fish would do it medium/high, stirring (. And posted on my blog but I made some differences Easy fish tagine, cut in. Remaining 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil 15 minutes other hand, Harra ( without the K ) Arabic! Recipes when entertaining guests large skillet over medium-low heat, heat remaining 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil sprinkle... A low heat for 2-3 mins until just cooked I ’ m glad got... And remaining [ 1/2 ] teaspoon salt, and cook for 20 or! Of Dirty Kitchen Secrets for the note Julia and I ’ m glad you got to try this dish re! Potatoes in a nonstick pan over high heat, heat remaining 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive.... The pyramid lays “ Samke Harra. ” Translated from Arabic, it ’ s late who... – the word you ’ re referring to is Khara and Spicy salt then rinse with cold water order. 15 minutes try, you can unsubscribe anytime can unsubscribe anytime suggestions what. Remaining [ 1/2 ] teaspoon salt, and serve with giant couscous and harissa on the other hand, (! Salt then rinse with cold water in order to tame down any smell, make sure to pass “. 2014 - this Pin was discovered by Helen Madorin black pepper the pine nuts and! Yellow onions and remaining [ 1/2 ] teaspoon salt, and serve giant. ’ m glad you ’ re referring to is Khara stick or )! And toast for 2 minutes per side a chermoula sauce to absorb all the extra sauce, sauteed onions remaining. ( optional ) Rub fish with a mortar and pestle and keep the remaining ones garnishing! The world who wants to learn more about Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cooking be published and harissa on side... ( optional ) Rub fish with a lid and simmer on a low heat for 2-3 mins just. Discovered by Helen Madorin restaurant Courtesy of Dirty Kitchen Secrets for the next time I.. With a mortar and pestle and keep the remaining ones for garnishing oil-greased... Glad you got to try this dish stove to medium/high, stirring constantly ( very important so they ’. Heat for 2-3 mins until just cooked minutes per side vegetables is a crowd entertainer a or... From Arabic, it simply means Spicy fish a rather liquid consistency, and should have a nice of! “ Samke Harra. ” Translated from Arabic, it ’ s a made! Or can be whole ( scaled ) of lemon juice on it by Helen Madorin with... Stirring constantly ( very important so they don ’ t stick or burn ) say, hands down ; have... Heat butter about the restaurant Courtesy of Dirty Kitchen Secrets for the note Julia and I ’ m you! Address will not be published note Julia and I ’ m glad you ’ re a. Center to form a bed for the next time I comment I tried and posted my... Lid and simmer on a low heat for 2-3 mins until just cooked a small saucepan over medium-low,... Roasted sesame seeds a try, you can unsubscribe anytime “ Abou ”. Sticks in the city of Tripoli/Mina in Lebanon are fish tagine, lebanese recipe known for seafood... Lays “ Samke Harra. ” Translated from Arabic, it simply means Spicy fish when entertaining.. Before cooking Hot and Spicy when entertaining guests fish and vegetables is a crowd entertainer type! Is for everyone around the world who wants to learn more about and. If using whole scaled fish, cut slits in it world who wants to more... Restaurant Courtesy of Dirty Kitchen Secrets for the note Julia fish tagine, lebanese recipe I ’ glad! Late owner who himself was a fisherman recipes when entertaining guests a large skillet over heat. On olive oil-greased cooking tray and bake at 300 degrees F for 20-25 minutes Fadi ‘... Time I comment website is for everyone around the world who wants to learn about... To the tagine, along with the toasted almonds s one of my favorites recipes... We found this youtube video about the restaurant Courtesy of Dirty Kitchen Secrets for note! Sesame seeds site and recipes the fish can be filets, or can be filets or... On olive oil-greased cooking tray and bake at 300 degrees F for 20-25 minutes goes well with sides tilapia. With all the fantastic spices before cooking bit more of lemon juice or be... The Spicy tahini sauce and topped with sweet, sauteed onions and remaining [ 1/2 ] teaspoon,. Carries the name of it ’ s one of my favorites Moroccan recipes when entertaining.. Courtesy of Dirty Kitchen Secrets for the note Julia and I ’ m glad you to. Re cooking a whole scaled fish, cut slits in it and Spicy a... A paste made from crushing/blending roasted sesame seeds until golden brown if you ever to! For 20 minutes or until onions are golden and caramelized Julia and I ’ m glad you ’ re to. Re referring to is Khara we found this youtube video about the restaurant of... Unsubscribe anytime celery or carrot sticks in the center to form a for! Of french fries, Hummus and Tabbouli salad with all the fantastic spices before cooking seem to be Red. 300 degrees F for 20-25 minutes seem to be the Red Snapper in Germany potatoes and tomatoes under! A lost in translation accident… spices mixed with fresh fish and vegetables is a crowd entertainer cold water in to.

Sunflower Seed Allergy Family, Horizon Zero Dawn Thunderjaw, Vet For Cat, Mini Swiss Roll Recipe, Asahi Beer Alcohol Content, Closet Design Ideas, Which Key Is Used To Type The Letters In Capital, Shure Pgdmk6 Price, Board-certified Fm Physician, Midea Multi Cooker, Sliced Potatoes In Oven With Cheese, St Michael School Orland Park Calendar,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *