The school is situated to the west of Finchley's High Road (A1000), and immediately to the east of that stretch of the Northern Line which constitutes the school's western boundary. History . He founded the Challoner School (a fee-paying grammar school for boys who had not passed their 11+); as well as St. Alban's Catholic Preparatory School ("The Prep" – now absorbed into Woodside Park International School) as a feeder primary for the Grammar and Challoner schools. Its motto, Da Nobis Recta Sapere (Grant that we may be truly wise) comes from the collect (opening prayer) of the Mass of Pentecost. Religious education is taught twice a week in Key Stage 3 (years 7, 8 and 9); and, as in all Catholic schools in England, the GCSE is compulsory (Key Stage 4 – years 10 and 11), being taught three times weekly. He remained as headmaster until his retirement in 1962, later becoming Monsignor Canon Parsons. French is also taught up to A2 level. The school grew rapidly and by the outbreak of war in 1939, it held 270 students. Bampfield House, a private residence built before 1920, was acquired in the early 1950s as a dormitory block for the Challoner School. The school is registered to admit 220 pupils. The school has a Catholic ethos. Many thanks to Peter for the enormous amount of hard work and dedication over the last year. He was educated at Finchley Catholic Grammar School until he was sixteen. A reunion will again take place at Glebelands Indoor Bowls Club next year. From 1965 until 1972 they were undefeated in interschool competition. WisePay He remained as headmaster until his retirement in 1962, later becoming Monsignor Canon Parsons. The current head teacher is Mrs Niamh Arnull, who had previously been a member of the teaching staff in the 1990s. Finchley Catholic Grammar School was founded in 1926 by the redoubtable Canon (later Monsignor Canon) Clement Henry Parsons (1892–1980), parish priest of St. Alban's Catholic Church, Nether Street, North Finchley. Lessons for the first 18 students took place in the presbytery of St Alban’s, and it was not until 1929 that the school moved to its current location in the grounds of Woodside Grange. 657 likes. These are named after prominent Catholics (mostly with some personal connection to Finchley): Bampfield (green), Bourne (blue), Feckenham (gold), Fisher (white), Challoner (red), More (purple) and Alban (orange). At the beginning of the 2006–07 school year, another tie colour, orange, was introduced due to a complication about the number of pupils admitted that year. North London Grammar School is a non-denominational independent preparatory and secondary school for girls and boys aged 11–18 located in Hendon, Barnet The school newsletter, "The Albanian", is named after the school's patron saint, St Alban, Britain's protomartyr. At the start of the 2014 academic year they removed orange tie. Having left school John worked for Standard Telephones and Cables from 1939-41 when he took employment elsewhere until he began service with the Army in 1945. The school offers a government-funded Engineering Club to Key Stage 3. Goals scored by Luke Ainsworth, Luke Traynor and Louis Setoudeh were enough to take the school through to the first National Cup Final in the school's history. Finchley Higher Elementary School had its foundation stone laid in September 1903, becoming Finchley County School in 1910. The 'White House', built in 1872 by Cubitt, is the school's oldest building. The forms (houses) each have their own letter, which together make up the initials of the school. Challoner Lodge (originally 'Feckenham Lodge'), built around 1930 as a kind of dower house for the founder's aged mother, is now the school keeper's residence. French or Spanish are compulsory throughout Key Stage 3, and optional at GCSE. The School Hall, built in 1956 and originally used solely as a chapel, now functions as an assembly hall. It is sent out six times a year (every half term) to all parents, governors and other key members of the school community. Girls Type. Originally for boys aged 8 to 18, it became a direct grant school in 1939 and Voluntary Aided in 1945, when an independent preparatory school, St. Albans, was founded next door. Parents should check with each school for their admissions criteria because these do change frequently. Products with the Fairtrade Certification Mark are encouraged, and the school has an action group dedicated to making Barnet a Fairtrade borough. The show "Remember" written by Mark Sell and Lena Santos, was performed by students of FCHS and St. Michael's. The school's buildings vary in age and quality: The school is made up of 5 (sometimes 6) houses, which are represented by each year's form classes, which in turn are represented by the colour of stripes on their ties. High Visibility St Michael's Catholic Grammar School, North Finchley, London, United Kingdom. Contact Us, © In 2002, the school obtained specialist status as a Business and Enterprise College, and in 2007, the Sixth Form began admitting girls for the first time. Of particular note was the archery club. St. Michael’s is a very special place, it is first and foremost a Catholic school; the ethos implanted here by the Sisters of the Poor Child Jesus who founded this school.