bock 251 vs telefunken 251

The TF47 features an all-brass K47-style capsule, NOS 5840W vacuum tube, and a custom–made and historically accurate BV8 transformer — as found in the U47. During this session, I employed a technique I like to use when recording someone singing and playing an acoustic guitar at the same time. In use, the TF51 has a noticeably different character to the other mics in the range, feeling a bit leaner and with a more pronounced top end. Invest in sonic opulence with the Telefunken ELA M 251E! To learn more about our cookie policy, please check our Privacy Policy. Exclusive deals, delivered straight to your inbox. All rights reserved. The TF51 on room-mic duty for a piano recording. The Telefunken ELA M 251E large-diaphragm tube condenser mic is a faithful rendition of a legend. I honestly felt spoilt at times during this session, as having all three mics up on stands gave me such a useful set of options around the same high-quality theme. All I ever really need when using this mic is just a touch of compression, and I’m all set. The same singer was also kind enough to sing an a capella track for me, which enabled me to position all three mics closely together and judge them from a single take. The proof is always in how they come together in a mix, however, and once I had done just a little basic mix work on a vocal, like compression and a touch of reverb, they sounded fantastic. This involves using two figure–8 mics positioned so that the deep nulls help prevent sound from the voice and guitar spilling into each other's mics too much. Large-diaphragm Tube Condenser Mic with Cardioid, Omni, and Figure-8 polar patterns, Locking Flight Case, Lunchbox-style Power Supply, and Wooden Microphone Box. These are now discontinued, however, and have been replaced by a range of four new microphones, collectively known as the Alchemy series. The original, introduced in 1960, is reverentially considered to be one of the most gorgeous sounding mics ever made. TF51 model is excellent for female vocals. I'll talk a little more about the differences between the three mics in the Alchemy range, but the Copperhead TF39 was a very useful mic indeed to have around the studio. This is combined with an edge-terminated capsule that closely resembles the original AKG CK12 capsule. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. Sweetwater Sound What is a "hybrid" audio interface anyway? All the Alchemy-series mics ship in padded cases, along with a seven-metre XLR cable, a shockmount, a mic clip and a PSU. There's then a peak at around 3kHz, and then a relatively big boost around 15-16 kHz. The top-end boost is also really useful as it's high enough on most singers that it won't hit the sibilance region, but will add a nice feeling of air on a female singer. This is combined with an edge-terminated capsule that closely resembles the original AKG CK12 capsule. Re: Why does Liam Gallagher's vocals sound shit? The original, introduced in 1960, is reverentially considered to be one of the most gorgeous sounding mics ever made. The output transformer is also supplied by the same original German supplier for Telefunken. The TF51 is a stunning–looking microphone that is, I think, a perfect balance between retro and modern, with its grey body and chrome metalwork. Telefunken ELA M 251E Large-diaphragm Tube Condenser Microphone, Music background: Full-time, professional musician, Music background: Multi-instrumentalist, producer. A Sweetwater Sales Engineer will get back to you shortly. The company have, however, long been keen to introduce some more accessible options to the modern engineer and until recently had a range of more affordable options that went under the umbrella of the RFT series. The modern incarnation of the company are best known for their Diamond series of mics, which are meticulously accurate reissues of classics such as the ELA M 251, the U47/48 and the C12. Why does Liam Gallagher's vocals sound shit? The TF51 has got me thinking seriously about using my credit card, based entirely on how good it sounds on female vocals, and will for me be the hardest of the three to give back. Get Directions | I make a point of mentioning this, as how a mic performs in a setup like this — and how the mics' non-direct, off-axis sound performs — can be a good indicator of its quality. There are actually two mics that bear the Copperhead name: the Deluxe TF39 version, reviewed here, has a dual–membrane capsule which allows for cardioid, omni and figure-8 polar patterns. All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2020. Why Are Some A-B Stereo Arrays Angled Outwards? Perhaps not surprisingly, they all have a broadly similar feel, while still offering different perspectives on whatever it is you're recording. Achieve sonic opulence (without a second mortgage), Three polar patterns accommodate any recording task, A few examples of what you can do with this incredible mic, A glorious sounding reissue of a glorious sounding classic, Edge-terminated, dual backplate CK-12 capsule, 3 polar patterns: cardioid, omni, and figure-8, Includes locking flight case, lunchbox-style power supply, and wooden microphone box. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. So, Telefunken did something very intelligent: a meticulous reissue. First Look: Pro Tools | Carbon. It's harder to add in what isn't there in the first place! They are available to offer you personalized product advice any time you need it. When I'm reviewing a microphone, I like to look at the stated frequency response only after I've judged it for myself on a few sessions, so that I don't let my opinion get steered in any way. The TF47 has a quite pronounced mid-range peak between 3-5 kHz which, not surprisingly, makes it a little fussier than some other microphones. You would rightly expect for mics in this price range to feel solid and well made, but it is still refreshing that so much thought and care has gone into the product as a whole. Everything you love about Sweetwater in the palm of your hand. In the Alchemy series, Telefunken have released a range of microphones that strike a great balance between vintage and modern, in terms of both looks and sound. Sweetwater's Sales Engineers are regarded as the most experienced and knowledgeable professionals in the music industry, with extensive music backgrounds and intense training on the latest products and technologies. Re: One Synth Challenge V - The Filter Strikes Back! All three microphones worked wonderfully in this setup and also seemed very unfussy about positioning. Learn More. For this recording, all the mics were in their cardioid polar position, and it was a great way of observing both the similarities and differences between the three models. The TF51 and TF47 offer a modern twist on vintage classics, whilst the Copperhead is a great all-rounder that can really shine on the right source. It's also the cheapest of the three models. I say I was surprised, as my perception of the mic after using it for a while was that it was quite a neutral–sounding studio all-rounder. Based in Connecticut, Telefunken began producing microphones in 2001 after acquiring the rights to use the Telefunken name for their products. Not cheap but the pricing is fair. Stock your mic locker with a classic: the Telefunken ELA M 251E. I didn't like it on female vocals as it just sounded a bit 'unbalanced', and despite it sounding good on the same male vocal I tried the Copperhead on, I found myself preferring the Copperhead as it was less sibilant. They also offer a simpler version, the TF29, which is cheaper and has a fixed cardioid pickup pattern. Features include an all–brass K67-style capsule, new old stock (NOS) 5654 vacuum tube and a Swedish–made Lundahl output transformer. I was very impressed with the Copperhead, and if you're looking for your first mic at this level, but want some flexibility, then the TF39, or TF29, would make an excellent choice. The Telefunken ELA M 251E large-diaphragm tube condenser mic is a faithful rendition of a legend. With that sense of presence or 'air', the TF51 seemed to offer me something I didn't have in my mic collection already, and I would love to try a pair as drum overheads as I think they would bring out the good parts of cymbals, while not clogging up the low–mids. It features the same 6072A tube that Telefunken use in their 251 recreation (and their version of the closely related C12). Free from the shackles of having to create precise replicas of rare and classic mics, Telefunken have released a striking range of valve microphones that are well worthy of attention. Now is the perfect time to get the gear you want with simple, promotional financing. Q. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers. The results are jaw-dropping: pure sonic opulence.

Rockford Fosgate R2d2-10 Wiring Diagram, Fix Blank Or White Shortcut Icons On Desktop, Sunflower Allergy Symptoms, Speechless Ukulele Chords Dan And Shay, Surgical Technologist Competency Checklist, Open System Tray, Goldfish And Betta Together, Citrus Smoothie Bowl, Hp Chromebook 11 G7 Ee, Bar Chart Data Visualization,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *