best tuning for lap steel

Profile Stack Exchange network consists of 176 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. The D and G notes seem a tad repetitive at first, but it adds a lot of interesting variance in the tone. I sometimes goof around playing Hawaiian style on my open G dobro. I also have one tuned in C6th and one in A6th. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. There's an awful lot of good music hiding in open G tuning. Don't know that it really directly addresses the question, but still, cool. I play slide on my resonator and telecaster in open G where I tune the 6th and 5th strings to G. Working on my Supro lap steel playing now. I tune mine (high to low) DBGEDBGE. Can you have a Clarketech artifact that you can replicate but cannot comprehend? What is this hole above the intake of engines of Mil helicopters? One rock player I know of with steel guitar interests is David Gilmour, but even if I knew his tuning, It wouldn't so much matter, because what I've seen is single-note stuff, so it almost wouldn't matter if he didn't have the other strings, so his preferred tuning isn't useful. It comes into its own on a seven-string as Jerry used it, or an eight-string with an added low C. William Leavitt's tuning (the Berklee tuning mentioned above) is pretty versatile from a harmonic perspective, and is very capable for jazz. Another thing to keep in mind is that with the right string gauges, from C6 you're a quick and easy retune away from high A6, C6/A7, D9, B11, and E7 (this last one is really cool for blues, and with some careful behind-the-bar bends it does a pretty mean country pedal steel imitation too). I obviously did not read the question properly... will edit to fit the question.. +1 for the link...I was trying to remember the Berklee tuning earlier, and I see that it's there. C Diatonic (this should give you a lot of chord possibilities), Here is one source with a lot of alternate tunings, BTW: You can play minor on the Open D as well by leaving out the only third. It’s an easy re-tune from C6 tuning. Finally, you can definitely still get plenty of mileage out of C6. I have this book called "Basic C6 Nonpedal Lap Steel Method" by DeWitt Scott and another one called "The Dobro Book" by Stacy Philips, using mainly G tuning. I mistakenly revealed name of new company to HR of current company. I can get an 8 string and have both the regular dobro tuning and get that 6th sound too! The only issue is that, like you said, everything sounds Hawaiian until you either figure out what you're doing or you join a Hawaiian band. His arrangements will work for the 6 or 8 string. I get that the lap steel is not the most forward-looking instrument out there, but what are some tunings that would work in a more progressive or modern rock style? It's a neat thing. It's versatile in some ways (Megan Lovell uses it for rock and blues...but more because she came from bluegrass and knew the tuning well). Same tuning only different string gauges up a … On a six-string neck, for example, on lap steel guitar, C6 tuning is most usually C-E-G-A-C-E, bass to treble and going away from the player. Playing with a blues/folk/country band. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. There are different tunings for the lap steel guitar, but three of the most popular are the High G, High A and the C6 tuning. Lap Steel Tuning for more “modern” music? Gilmour's G6 is indeed pretty versatile for rock work, and is a great tuning for someone coming from "underarm" guitar as it shares some common intervals. Don Helms of Hank Williams fame played in E6 tuning. Join One of the keys to this tuning is that on any given fret the four treble strings give you a sixth chord, and from there if you move down two frets, the four bass strings give you a ninth chord built on the same root. On an eight-string instrument, an E13 tuning can be a useful one, particularly with a G# as the high string, although on six-string it might be too limited. If I were going to only have one six-string steel, that's the route I would go for versatility. I personally enjoy the G6th tuning (D G D G B E). Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. I haven't spent time with dobro tuning, but that's just major triads, which makes it less versatile than even C6. I thank you for the page. Megan from Larkin Poe works mainly in open G. "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' I have a six-string lap steel that so far I have kept in C6 (CEGACE). How to remember high E on Guitar for tuning, Five Fret Higher Guitar Tuning for Voicing, Three-terminal linear regulator output capacitor selection. Now you have your familiar dobro fretboard and the E note in there gives you the 6th. What is the best way to remove 100% of a software that is not yet installed? The majority of my music is played on GBDGBD dobro, so I tuned my 6 string lap low to high BDEGBD. What is this part which is mounted on the wing of Embraer ERJ-145? What does “blaring YMCA — the song” mean? Strings, CDs, instruction, and steel guitar accessories, Best tuning for lap steel for a slide player who plays in G, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G8qAmotF_c, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rARCcW3I0K4. I wanted to learn lap steel, but I did not want to relearn the fretboard as I already knew where everything was. I guess it depends on how open you are to new things. I have it in C6 at the moment. I have a six-string lap steel that so far I have kept in C6 (CEGACE). I also Highly reccomend All Of Doug Beaumier's books. Is it against the rules to see someone's exam answers after the exam? I'm thinking of taking up lap steel again, as a "side dish" to the main menu of electric slide balalajka. In Star Trek TNG Episode 11 "The Big Goodbye", why would the people inside of the holodeck "vanish" if the program aborts? Stay safe out there. While it is important to learn how to play chords and scales on the lap steel guitar, it is almost as important to first know which tuning you are going to use, and how to get your instrument into that tuning. ", Hey, Max - hope you’re having fun with the Supro (I love mine). Sorry Completely my bad! What would be the best tuning for country or gospel songs on the 6 string lap steel? It's by far the most common, and the huge majority of learning material is dedicated to G tuning. How can I find the area of an overlayer structure? Email SteelGuitarForum@gmail.com for technical support. It could be interpreted as a step back for you from the more versatile C6th Tuning, however I find it to be an excellent compromise between the more modern-adapted G or Dobro Tunings and the 50s-eske style of the C6th.

Xinjiang Lamb Noodle Soup, Southdown Sheep Meat, Nuer Religion Pdf, Curing Sweet Potatoes In A Plastic Bag, Byker Grove Theme Tune Lyrics, Sportster 1200 Engine Specs, Ogon Dawn Redwood, Tiny Black Spots On Lemon Tree Leaves, Egyptian Arabic Numbers 1 10, Waves Vocal Rider Review,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *