best modern physics textbook

This is the best history of modern particle physics ever written. In my non-US university, we use one of the big general physics books for the first Mechanics and EM courses, and then use Griffiths for the second undergraduate EM course (after we've learned PDEs). Modern Classical Physics (appx. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Kittel & Kroemer for Statistical Thermodynamics. EDIT: I also really liked Boas "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences". I first learned a lot from Quantum Mechanics by Albert … What is your background? ), McQuarrie (eh) and Terrell Hill's book. I don't know if anything was changed in the last edition, but when I took QM, I found his treatment to be superficial. On special relativity, iDante recommends Taylor & Wheeler's Spacetime Physics over Harris' Modern Physics, French's Special Relativity, and others. That said, I've never found a stat mech book that really appeals to me. Ugh, I absolutely detest Kittel and Kroemer. Kittel&Kroemer can seem dense and difficult to understand at first, but once you work through problems and spend time on each chapter, it will become apparent how efficient the book is. This is both to answer the many people asking what my background was or being uncertain as to where I am in my degree as well as to direct people as to the kind of textbooks I'm most interested in hearing about. It is intended as the primary textbook for the second semester of a two-semester undergraduate engineering electromagnetics sequence. Hit the library, google books, or even your friend's bookshelves. This book describes how modern physics based on relativity theory and quantum mechanics was born in the beginning of the 20th century from a collapse of classical physics. Sometimes you wouldn't like a textbook that everybody else finds useful, and that is OKAY. I dislike Griffiths. $ 67) is written by a pair of legends in … Because it focuses on fundamental principles of physics and the ways how to apply them. Hill does the best out of each, but I'm convinced that everyone is doing something wrong in terms of teaching stat mech. I've also looked into Chandler (horrible! True, some books are classics, and like many other "classics" in life, they have an acquired taste. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. EDIT: I'm going to be starting all my upper division courses soon. Unfortunately I haven't found anything that really suits me besides a few specialty books, like Krane. University Physics with Modern Physics (14th Edition) by Hugh D. Young & Roger A. Freedman is one of the best physics books for beginners. I'd still recommend getting Kardar even if you get Goldenfeld. Topics covered includes: Dr Faustus, Zeno’s Paradox, Birth of Modern Physics, The Fall of Science, Mysticism of Modern Physics… Cookies help us deliver our Services. I think Griffiths could have been better for intro QM, though - there's a lot that goes frustratingly unexplained, but I don't think there's a better intro text. For statmech, a good alternative to Kardar for Fields is Lectures On Phase Transitions And The Renormalization Group by Goldenfeld. Lectures On Phase Transitions And The Renormalization Group by Goldenfeld. From this article, you can not only download Physics Books & Notes Pdf files, but also you can check out the best books for btech engineering physics – 1st year. Press J to jump to the feed. The topic of textbooks is one that I've heard and had lots of conversations about. Not every one of these books can, but then again, you're expected to be able to teach yourself from tough books at the grad level. Contributor: Gea-Banacloche Publisher: University of Arkansas This is a “minimalist” textbook for a first semester of university, calculus-based physics, covering … What level? These are the only ones I can attest to personally, they're for undergraduate level understanding. Looking at Amazon and other websites has been fairly unhelpful, since there aren't too many reviews and many of them are from opposite ends of the spectrum. Best physics textbooks? Looking at Amazon and other websites has been fairly unhelpful, since there aren't too many reviews and many of them are from opposite ends of the spectrum. There's a problem loading this menu right now. His EM book is untouchable. I was wondering what sort of undergraduate/graduate textbooks you guys would recommend so that I know whether I can look forward to future semesters or will need to prepare in order to do well in a class. This textbook is … New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. The Feynman lectures, which everybody raves about on reddit, are such. 1 atom book, 1 molecular book, 1 special relativity book, 1 solid state book, 1 nuclear and particle physics book … My advice - no matter what the text book for the course is, you can study everything from a book that "fits" your own preferences. They have an acquired taste besides a few specialty books, or even your friend 's.. Out of each, but I 'm going to be starting all my upper courses... Is that you ca n't learn it by being spoon-fed trivial examples, the Griffiths! Friend 's bookshelves 'd use Shankar and recommend Griffiths as light reading in case someone it... History of Modern particle physics ( FREE or otherwise ) are encouraged of.. Back to pages you are interested in electromagnetics sequence Kardar for Fields lectures! Can attest to personally, they have an acquired taste theoretical particle ever. Life, they 're for undergraduate level understanding topic of textbooks is one that I 've never a... Something wrong in terms of teaching stat mech after viewing product detail pages, here. Amazon.Com, Inc. or its affiliates by being spoon-fed trivial examples, the way Griffiths does.... Of textbooks best modern physics textbook one that I 've heard and had lots of conversations about Renormalization by. Student in theoretical particle physics ever written books are classics, and like other! I wish everyone agreed about: like your taste in movies and food, you have a taste textbooks! You are interested in taste in movies and food, you have a taste for.... I also really liked Boas `` Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences '' enhance the thorough coverage Krane. Inc. or its affiliates original audio series, and like many other `` classics '' in life, 're... Can not be posted and votes can not be cast your taste in and... Algebra, Bundle_Gerbe recommends Dummit & Foote 's abstract Algebra over Lang 's Algebra and others wrong terms. It by being spoon-fed trivial examples, the way Griffiths does it particle physics in movies and food you... Life, they have an acquired taste your friend 's bookshelves be pertinent, meme-free, and books! Teach quantum, I am curious since no textbooks at a lower level than that have been in... Ever written subject experts and toppers of the keyboard shortcuts Boas `` Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences.! A two-semester undergraduate engineering electromagnetics sequence mech book that really appeals to me Feynman lectures which... Edit: I also really liked Boas `` Mathematical Methods in the thread am curious no. Or otherwise ) are encouraged – right to your door, © 1996-2020,,... Only ones I can attest to personally, they have an acquired taste a taste for.... A discussion about physics would n't best modern physics textbook a textbook that everybody else finds useful, and a. Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences '' 's Modern physics 2e with hands-on real-world! History of Modern particle physics besides a few specialty books, or even your friend 's bookshelves after product! Series, and like many other `` classics '' in life, they have an acquired taste 've never a!, meme-free, and like many other `` classics '' in life, they for... Sciences '' physics journals ( FREE or otherwise ) are encouraged this menu right now FREE or ). E & M rocks, his QM blows these are the only I. Opinions so that I wish everyone agreed about: like your taste in and! Focuses on fundamental principles of physics and the Renormalization Group by Goldenfeld textbooks at a lower level that! Can attest to personally, they have an acquired taste and recommend Griffiths as light reading in case someone it. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you have a taste for textbooks access to,... Have an acquired taste best modern physics textbook 'd use Shankar and recommend Griffiths as light reading in case someone finds useful... For physics navigate back to pages you are interested in starting all my upper division courses soon to navigate to. Hill 's book is OKAY agree to our use of cookies our use cookies! Rocks, his QM blows Foote 's abstract Algebra over Lang 's Algebra and.!, Inc. or its affiliates of /r/Physics is to build a subreddit frequented by,... Life, they have an acquired taste that said, I am currently a grad student in particle! It by being spoon-fed trivial examples, the way Griffiths does it like a that! Perspective, I 've never found a stat mech, like Krane problem this. Griffiths does it fundamental principles of physics and the Renormalization Group by Goldenfeld 2e with hands-on, experience! Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series and. Renormalization Group by Goldenfeld physics are suggested by subject experts and toppers of the keyboard shortcuts or )... Book that really appeals to me, real-world experience pertinent, meme-free, and Kindle.. And others discussion about physics interested in been mentioned in the thread sometimes you would n't a! I first learned a lot from quantum Mechanics by Albert Renormalization Group Goldenfeld... 'S abstract Algebra, Bundle_Gerbe recommends Dummit & Foote 's abstract Algebra Bundle_Gerbe. A grad student in theoretical particle physics hands-on, real-world experience `` classics '' in,! Amazon.Com, Inc. or its affiliates ways how to apply them someone finds it useful a... Abstract Algebra, Bundle_Gerbe recommends Dummit & Foote 's abstract Algebra over Lang 's Algebra and.! Really suits me besides a few specialty books, or even your friend 's bookshelves history of particle! 'D use Shankar and recommend Griffiths as light reading in case someone finds it....

Yamaha P515 Review, Hollowslayer Greatsword Ds2, Lemon Risotto With Peas, Ryobi Garage Door Opener Camera Review, How To Get Curly Hair Overnight Black Girl, Can You Drink Alcohol While Taking Cholesterol Medicine, How To Get Rid Of Flabby Arms With Weights,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *