apertura ad8 vs zhumell z8

The aphorism we astronomers like to roll out is, “The best scope is the one you use.” As discussed above, an 8-inch is significantly lighter, more portable than a 10-inch. I will be using this while camping in the mountains, so clear skies with very low light pollution. Orion’s XT8, probably the most popular 8-inch dob out there, is 41 lbs., which breaks down almost exactly evenly between the tube and the base at about 20 1/2 lbs. The 12-inch will let you get down to 14.4, and that’s almost an entire magnitude deeper. It is a 1200mm long tube holding a 203mm lens and with the f/5 focal ratio, much of the universe is within our reach. Press J to jump to the feed. If so, great, the 10 could be for you. Finally, as I mentioned, 5 magnitudes difference is 100 times brighter. Yes, you read that correctly. The extra 7 magnitudes difference between what your eyes see visually and what an 8-inch dob will show you applies only to point sources. At 15% more (or less) light, you can just see the difference, but only if you’re really trying. Before buying the scope, if you want to see how heavy that tube is, and use the same muscles to carry it, try this test. . The Skyline has great accessories, in the same league, but I understand if you feel that it's overpriced. An astronomy blog from the middle of Manhattan . The 8-inch dob provides the perfect balance between large aperture with portability. I have an Orion XT10 and 1 of the best accessories you can get for it is the padded carrying bag. I got it right in the photo caption, but not in the body of the article. Note that word “theoretically“, though. Apertura and Zhumell both sell GSO telescopes, and the AD8 and Z8 are, other than paint and branding, identical scopes. It'll boil down to personal taste and preference. No; again, because our eye/brain combination just doesn’t detect light linearly that way. The magnitude that’s given for these extended objects is “misleading” precisely because the object is extended – it’s not a point source, like a star. I, of course, hate those people. Still heavy and bulky but makes it much more manageable to transport. The choice between Dobsonian models is usually based on the accessories bundled with it. Its on back order until late September/October, but I am holding out for it. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. So, this means: In my experience, even if you are observing from a 6th mag dark site, you should reduce the maximum theoretical magnitude as to the dimmest objects that you can see with binocs or a scope by anywhere between a half and a full magnitude. Does Vega really seem to be 100 times brighter than the dimmest stars you can see? Apertura AD8 8" Dobsonian Telescope with Accessories - AD8 - Open Box - SOLD . Which is not to say that I’m recommending you get a 12-inch scope, either, because that thing is heavy. When you take a photometer = a light meter, and you actually measure the light given off by a 1st magnitude star – like Antares or Spica, both at 1.0 – and you compare that to the light given off by a 6th magnitude star, the difference is 100 times more light. However, he is still a former attorney. Remember how heavy it was? No, no, this isn’t yet another anti-dob rant; longtime readers will know that I actually do like dobs. You’re absolutely itching to get the scope out. Theoretically, using very small 8×20 binoculars under 5th mag skies, you’ll get to 7th mag and 26,500 stars; 7x35s under those same 5th mag skies gets you a little past 8th mag and to 77,600 stars; and 10x50s under 5th mag skies gets you to 9th mag and 217,700 stars. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Let’s first take a look at the weight differences between two popular lines of 8 and 10-inch dobs. Feel free to discuss anything here, from what sort of telescope you should get, to how to actually use that scope of yours! So, all this talk about magnitudes is very interesting, but what does that have to do with the difference between 8-inch and 10-inch dobs? Apertura’s AD8 Dobsonian makes a great model with great number of accessories. For sure , as we age, our eyes change chemically and that detracts from our ability to decern contrast. The best scope is the one you use. Because the brightness increases logarithmically, 2 magnitudes difference, which is the difference between Vega (0.0) and Polaris (2.0), is 2.512 squared = Vega is 6.3 times brighter. Just enough so it provides good quality for a beginner.

Maybe Something Beautiful Genre, Banksia Marginata Hedge, Karcher Pressure Washer Turbo Nozzle Not Spinning, Mustafa Mustafa Nasheed Lyrics, How To Improve Cooperation Skills, Grafting Plants Step By Step Pdf, What Year Was It 3000 Years Ago From 2019, Magic School Bus Rides Again Janet's Mystery Gene Worksheet, Life Tv Series Bbc 2020,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *